Tis the season of exams and what’s better than super-foods that help kids endure the study marathon and supercharge their memory.
Exam time can push some children to binge eat due to stress and being at home, munching on snacks is more often than ever. Although this does help the brain to keep going, highly processed foods and sugar isn’t such a great idea as they cause fatigue after a while. Besides, exams can last a long time and we all dread our children putting on those extra pounds.
EXAM TIME RELISHES: SMART SNACKS
Shaped just like the brain, walnuts are loaded with Omega -3 fatty acids that help in better cognitive performance (or simply – brain functioning!). Take a look at our quick, easy, and oh-so-yummy walnut recipes you can whip up for your little Einsteins.
HERB SPICED CRUNCHY WALNUTS
- 5 tsp olive oil
- 5 tsp pure honey
- 3 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups walnut halves
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes/powder (or paprika)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- In a bowl, whisk together: olive oil, honey, chilli flakes. Stir in 3 tsp of rosemary and 2 tsp of thyme.
- Add the walnut halves and toss well to coat.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake until fragrant and crisp (approx. 10-12 min).
- After removing from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp thyme and salt. Mix well and cool.
(Tip: If fresh herbs aren’t available, substitute with 3 tsp of fresh herbs with 1 tsp of dried herbs)
WALNUT BASIL PESTO
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ medium-sized avocado
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- In a processor/grinder combine walnuts, basil, garlic and cheese and pulse until meal forms.
- Next, add the avocado, lemon juice and water and process until smooth.
- Serve as a dip which nachos, khakras or even veggies like carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, or celery sticks. Or spread over multigrain or brown bread and enjoy J
(Tip: For a thinner consistency – like a dip – add more water, for a thicker spread add less water!)
Pssst ….. Here’s a bonus – avocado is also an exam superfood since it contains healthy fats.