When you read the news headlines related to infotech, what do you find? Isn’t it some cyberattack or a data breach that has compromised the sensitive information of thousands of people? Recent years have seen lots of headlines with the same news. Many of the tech giants, financial organizations, social media sites, healthcare industries have suffered data loss which shook their financial stability. Moreover, recovering the losses caused by the cyberattacks can cost too high.
With the expansion of big data and the internet vastly, there has been a rise in data breaches as well. It occurs because criminals and unethical people try to steal sensitive and confidential information to misuse it.
So according to Forbes, over the past 10 years, there have been 300 data breaches involving the theft of 100,000 or more records. Since all these data breaches cost companies a lot of money and time, it shows how important cybersecurity skills are so that the data breaches shouldn’t take place. Cybersecurity acts as a shield to protect the networks and computer systems.
So, the article below clearly explains what is a cyber security expert and the essential requirements to become one.
Who is a Cybersecurity Expert?
The cybersecurity expert is a professional responsible for securing information systems. They monitor, detect, investigate, and analyze the systems and networks for protecting them from virus threats, cyber-attacks such as unauthorized access, theft, etc.
The important responsibilities that the cybersecurity expert has to perform are listed below:
- Building security systems in the software systems, data centers, and networks.
- Finding the associated risks in the hardware and software
- Searching for the potential ways to secure the IT infrastructure in an organization
- Building firewalls as it is an important part of protecting the network infrastructures.
- Consistent efforts for monitoring the intrusions and attacks.
- Attempts to seal the security vulnerability in case any threat or data breach occurs.
- Identifying the perpetrator and communicating with the legal authorities if required.
Skills required to become a Cybersecurity Expert
Below mentioned are the skills that a professional must-have for becoming a cyber-security specialist:
- Fundamental knowledge of Information technology and its systems. Some of the important concepts are web application and administration that are required for all the job roles in IT
- Some of the programming languages such as C, C++, java, python, ruby, Perl, PHP form an important part in the technical job roles. Programming languages may not always be required in the profession unless there is a technical work of security analyst, application security engineer, ethical hacker, penetration tester, etc. comes up.
- The knowledge of operating systems, architecture, and administration are important to learn for a cybersecurity professional because they help in executing security policies.
- The knowledge of database management systems and their applications such as access, query languages (MySQL and SQL) form an important part in handling huge chunks of big data and working upon them.
- Apart from the technical skills, there are soft skills that equally play an important role. The leadership skills form an important part in leading the team and implementing the security standards at all levels in the organization
- The communication skills form the foundation as it is important to communicate well the work that is progressing
- Analytical thinking skills to deeply analyze IT security and its operations from all aspects.
- The professional must be passionate to learn new things as always motivates the professionals to work with more passion.
- The cybersecurity professional must have enough determination so that they do all the tasks such as penetration testing, forensic analysis with patience.
- It is the skills of networking that comes as an important part of cybersecurity professionals. This forms an important part because it helps in collaborating with different people and also helps in approaching new business opportunities.
- Lastly, it is also the writing skills that shouldn’t be left from the skills because it helps in report writing, describing the incident, assessments performed, suggestions for improvement, etc.
As of now, you must be clear about what is required to become a cybersecurity expert. There should be no stone left unturned regarding learning the skills required to become a cybersecurity expert. Take the step of learning all the required skills. Since this is a challenging profession, you must make sure that you learn the skills from the right sources. One of the ways is to enroll yourself in an online training course that will help you learn all the required knowledge.
First, they train you according to the level of your knowledge. Second, they let you learn at your own pace. Third, they let you choose from the different modes of learning such as online training, blended learning, and instructor-led. Doubt-sessions are also conducted by industry experts to make sure that you are prepared well for taking the exam.
Also, they help you to gain practical knowledge through simulation tests and industry-led experts. As a result, you will see enormous growth in your career which will provide you with opportunities like never before.