What is arts and crafts? Expressions and Crafts Architectural Style is praise painstaking work. Furthermore, it is energize the utilization of basic structures and common materials. In the United States of American expressions and specialties style design. Two California siblings, Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Green are started to plan expressions and artworks house style. That expressions and specialties style house arrangements are consolidate Arts and Crafts style thoughts. With an interest for the basic wooden engineering of China and Japan.
Amid the 1880s, John Ruskin, William Morris, Philip Webb. What’s more, other English creators and masterminds dispatch the Arts and Crafts Architectural Style. The nineteenth century Arts and Crafts Architectural Style Movement started the specialist style house and cabin styles.
The expression “Expressions and Crafts” alludes to the mid nineteenth century British and American development to resuscitate painstaking work. The development was likewise the motivation behind human expressions and artworks development engineering style.
- What is Arts and Crafts Architectural Style Wiki.
- Key Elements of Arts and Crafts Architectural Style:
What is Arts and Crafts Architectural Style Wiki.
There are certain elements of design in this style of architecture. Those elements define the arts and crafts architectural style characteristics and arts and crafts house style interior.
Key Elements of Arts and Crafts Architectural Style:
- Built of natural materials. Craftsman homes are typically built with real wood, stone and brick.
- Built-in furniture and light fixtures. Built-ins were the hallmark feature of the Arts and Crafts era. Built-in cabinets allow the furnishings to be part of the architecture. Ensuring arts and crafts style design is unity and economic use of space. Even the light fixtures are often part of the arts and crafts era decorating.
- Fireplace. A fireplace was the symbol of family in the Arts and Crafts Architectural Style. So most arts and crafts style homes floor plans are features a dominant fireplace in the living room. And a large exterior chimney.
- Porches. Most homes in the Craftsman style have porches with thick square or round columns and stone porch supports.
- Low-pitched roofs. The arts and crafts style house typically have a low roof with wide eaves and triangular brackets.
- Exposed beams. The arts and crafts style homes interior design are show the beams on the porch. And inside the house are often expose.
- Open floor plan. The Arts and Crafts Architectural Style rejected the small, boxy rooms like those in Victorian houses.
Famous Examples of Characteristics of Arts and Crafts Style Homes:
- St. Francis Court. In 1909, Sylvanus Marston, an architect who study at Cornell. Assemble bungalows in Pasadena, Calif. Around a small “courtyard” to solve the density problem and create the illusion of space.
- Craftsman Farms. Gustav Stickley’s retreat in Morris Plains, N.J., is a perfect example of the Arts and Crafts Architectural Style. The entire home is furnished with furniture from Stickley United Crafts.
- The Gamble House. This 8,200-square-foot Arts and Crafts Architectural Style home icon is in Pasadena, Calif. It was build in 1908 by Charles and Henry Greene, who obsessively crafted every detail of the furnishings and art.
Arts and Crafts House Style History:
The Arts and Crafts Architectural Style began in Britain in the mid to late 1800’s. And come to America just before the turn of the century. One of the first Americans to adopt the principles was Gustav Stickley, the well known furniture designer.
Considered the founder of the Craftsman style (a descendant of the Arts & Crafts Style). Stickley was highly influential in spreading the philosophy of Arts and Crafts through his periodical “The American Craftsman”.
He is emphasize simple, clean lines, exposed artful joinery, the virtues of handcrafting. And unadorned natural materials in the American arts and crafts style architecture.
English reformer William Morris, Tired of excessive Victorian architecture and the machine-driven Industrial Age. Morris and his followers want to return to a pre-industrial, handmade society. Morris also want to make custom furnishings available to the “common man.”
The arts and crafts style bungalow house plans was closely associate with the Arts and Crafts Architectural Style. Stickley preached that bungalows would give working-class families the chance to experience “serious architecture.”
Bungalows melded simple design with handcrafted artistry – all for about $900 dollars. The style was also easy to build and maintain, and it became the most common type of Craftsman home. That is cropping up from California to the Chicago suburbs.
Bungalows and Craftsman homes remain popular until they fell out of favor. When the casual ranch style emerged after World War II. However, the sleek, timeless style is regaining popularity today.
Images of Arts and Crafts Style Homes:
Quick check of Arts and Crafts Architectural Style Features:
- Wood, stone, or stucco siding.
- Low-pitched roof.
- Wide eaves with triangular brackets.
- Exposed roof rafters.
- Porch with thick square or round columns.
- Stone porch supports.
- Exterior chimney made with stone.
- Open floor plans; few hallways.
- Numerous windows.
- Some windows with stained or leaded glass.
- Beamed ceilings.
- Dark wood wainscoting and moldings.
- Built-in cabinets, shelves, and seating.
Arts and Crafts Architecture:
Besides creating elegant arts and crafts era furniture. Stickley partnere with the architect Harvey Ellis to create popular arts and crafts style bungalow house plans. That were publish in catalogs and became widely known as craftsman style bungalows. Some of the hallmarks of the craftsman bungalow were:
- Low to medium slope roofs with deep overhangs, usually hipped or gabled.
- Exposed rafters and rafter tails on the exterior.
- Covered front porches with large square or tapered columns on stone or brick bases.
- Prominent stone or brick chimneys..
- Timber brackets supporting roof overhangs
- One or one and a half stories, with attic living space and dormers.
- Open plan.
- Wood beam ceilings and dark wood wainscot and moldings.
- Built-in cabinets, shelves, seating, and sometimes furniture.
You may also like to read about:
- Modern House Design Styles.
- Home Decorating Ideas.
- Minimal-ist Designers and House Interior.
- Form Follow Function Design.
- Corner Sliding Window Systems.
- Ways Space Planning in Design.
In the Pasadena area of Southern California, two brothers, architects Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene. Took the bungalow and the Arts and Crafts Architectural Style Philosophy to extremes in their stick style homes.
Greene & Greene’swork has become iconic as the ultimate expression of Arts & Crafts ideals in home design. Where the home is a complete work of art with every detail and furnishing designed by the architect.