What is water garden? Actually water garden is a part of landscape of your backyard or front garden of your house. That contain a water feature with gardening on their sloping side of water body. Water garden is a quite unique feature in landscaping. Many of have a desire to create water garden for our house, but lake of space we are not fulfilled our desire to create full size water garden. But today we see how to make small water garden. That will place in your balcony or patio space.
- Know more about Latest Backyard Landscaping Ideas with Photos.
DIY Small Water Garden Ideas for Balcony or Patio.
Before go over the process of miniature water garden, we see some facts and required materials for creating small water garden. The size of the water garden box is vary as per your selection of the wooden section.
Materials for Water Garden Planters.
- Water sealant.
- Plastic liner.
- Water plants (Plants used in this how to: Japanese sweet flag, arrowhead, common duckweed, broadleaf, stonecrop, houseleek, deer fern, and blue-eyed grass.)
- Potting soil.
- Pea gravel.
- Gazing ball or other ornament.
Required tools in making of water garden.
- Handsaw or circular saw.
- Hammer and nails.
- Wood screws, screwdriver.
Now, are you ready with above mention materials and tools, then we see further diy process.
Step by Step Instruction for Do it yourself Guide for making of Water Garden.
1. Get 1×8 – inch cedar boards. (You could use 1×10 or 1×12 boards to create a deeper pond.)
2. You will need 2 pieces that are 30-inches long for the sides and 2 pieces that are 15-inches long for the ends of the box.
3. Assemble the outer frame with a hammer and some nails.
4. Measure the interior dimensions for the floor of the box. You can use the same 1×8-inch wood or you could get some 3/4-inch exterior plywood. Cut the wood with a hand saw or circular saw, or you could have it cut at your local hardware store. You want your cuts to be as straight as possible to minimize gaping.
5. Pr-drill holes every 6 inches along the edges of the box to attach the bottom piece. Start with attaching long side to the base first, then the two short sides, and finish with the remaining long side. Use wood screws to connect the boards.
6. If you want to create a divider, as illustrated in this project, for a separate planting box – cut another piece of wood that is the width of your interior. You can try it in a few different spots, before you decide on where you would like it.
In this example one-third of the box is for plants and two thirds are for the water garden. When you are happy with the placement, attach the divider with the wood screws.
7. Use additional wood screws to fasten the end joints on all four corners. Screw them in as tight as possible to minimize gaping.
8. Apply sealant to lengths of 1×2-inch stripes of wood and fasten them to each corner. They will strengthen the box and provide additional sealing.
9. On the inside of the box, install a plastic liner or use a water sealant. If you are planning on having fish in your water garden, make sure that the sealant that you choose is safe for aquatic life.
10. If you are going to have a garden side in your box, you will need to drill two or three holes in the bottom to provide drainage.
11. You are now ready to create a composition with your plants. Try choosing some that vary in size, texture, and form. Choose a combination of edge, submerged, and floating plants. Select some that are taller and a couple trailing plants.
Now our Water Garden Box is Ready!!!.
12. Fill the garden side with potting soil and fill it with plants that have similar growing requirements.
13. If you are using floating plants in the water garden, place them on a brick, so they sit two inches below the water surface.
14. As a final touch you could add ornamental elements for visual interest. You could also paint the outside of your box for a different look.
So, friends this is a entire diy steps to make water garden features in your balcony or patio landscaping decor. hope, this will help you to create some thing out-of box landscaping feature to define your decor style. have a thoughts on it, share with us.